Monday, February 23, 2009

My Trip To The Andrology Lab (Part 1)

Before I can really get into the topic of this blog I feel like some amount of back story is needed. As some of you may already know, my wife Devin and I have been trying to have a baby for some time now. Almost from the day we got back from our honeymoon. I never expected it to be a difficult road. However, the past 2 years have taught me that not everything is as easy as it seems.

We struggled with not knowing the problems as incompetent doctors suggested this or that and of course questioned why we wanted to have children so soon. After a heart breaking near pregnancy that resulted in an ectopic fiasco it strengthened our resolve to achieve our goal. However, doctors felt a little less than optimistic. We were told a variety of things that all led up to them saying that we were pretty much out of luck.

After a couple of months passed, and more expensive and pointless procedures were ordered, we decided to part ways with the doctors that had been helping us and prayed for a new beginning with a new doctor. Lo and behold, there was hope. We were finally told what was wrong. Devin has PCOS, or poly-cystic ovarian syndrome which reduces our chances of conceiving. While it sucks, at least we know what we're dealing with. As they used to say in the cartoons of my youth, "Knowing is half the battle"

A few months of fertility hormones have certainly made things interesting at our household. I remind myself often that it's a means to an end. Before moving further the doctor recommended that I be a responsible husband and have my part of the equation evaluated. Thus finishes back story.

Part 2 to post in minutes.

0 comments: